2013 Press Releases
From: London International Awards (LIA)
Press Contact: Patricia Censoprano
+1 718 747 6747
EMBARGOED UNTIL MONDAY, 4 Nov 2013
CANADA WINS 20
STATUES AT THE
28TH ANNUAL LONDON INTERNATIONAL AWARDS
ANOMALY, DDB CANADA AND LEO BURNETT TORONTO BRING HOME GOLD
(London, 4 November 2013) The 28th LIA judging was held at the Wynn/Encore Hotel in Las Vegas, convening over a ten-day period. The juries, led by their respective Jury Presidents, viewed and scored every entry within their medium ensuring that all the work was judged equally. They concluded with final discussions to determine Grand LIAs, Statue Winners and Finalists.
Canada picks up 20 Statues – 4 Gold, 9 Silver, and 7 Bronze. The individual wins are below:
This year only three companies brought Gold home to Canada at the 2013 London International Awards Show.
Anomaly, Toronto was awarded two Gold Statues both for Budweiser titled “Budweiser Red Lights”, one in Digital - Apps/Products and the other in Digital - Weird Wonderful Work. Anomaly also attained a Finalist in Digital - Campaign for Budweiser titled ‘Four Corners”, “Red Light CN Tower”, “Red Light Iqaluit”, “How to Install” and “Talk to Me Canada’.
Nick Law, Global CCO, R/GA stated, “It’s a harder thing to do now, to do something that changes the game. But in the middle there is this rising tide of really good work, of really professional work, of really well produced work. It’s sort of maturing all these different mediums that constitute interactive. The quality of craft and thinking has just gone up compared to even one year ago.”
DDB Canada, Toronto was awarded one Gold Statue, two Silvers and a Bronze. The Radio Jury awarded a Gold in Entertainment for Toronto Jewish Film Festival titled “Clogged”. The same Jury awarded DDB with a Silver LIA in Campaign for Toronto Jewish Film Festival titled ‘Lubing”, “Flares” and “Clogged’; and a Bronze in Entertainment for the same client titled “Plumber”.
They also won a Silver LIA in Integration for Jewish Film Festival Film titled “It's What Jews Do Best.”
They also attained four Finalists:
Radio - Entertainment for Toronto Jewish Film Festival titled “Flares”
TV/Cinema/Online Film - Cosmetics/Toiletries/Pharmaceuticals for Cialis titled “Curfew”
TV/Cinema/Online Film - Cosmetics/Toiletries/Pharmaceuticals for Cialis titled “Mustang”
TV/Cinema/Online Film - Social Media for McDonald's titled “Our Food. Your Questions.”
Leo Burnett Toronto, Toronto was awarded a Gold and a Silver LIA.
The Design Jury awarded a Gold LIA in Client Promotion and a Silver LIA in Calendars for Rooster Post Production titled “Calendar of Large Cocks”.
They also attained a Finalist:
Design – Posters for Earls Kitchen + Bar titled “Urinalysis”
Barbara Levy, President of LIA stated, “I would like to congratulate the entrants form Canada for winning 20 Statues across 11 media.”
Other Statue Winners from Canada include:
BBDO Toronto, Toronto won two Silver Statues:
- Silver - TV/Cinema/Online Film – Humour for Anti-Social Smoking titled “Social Farter”
- Silver - TV/Cinema/Online Film - Public Service/Social Welfare for Anti-Social Smoking titled “Social Farter”
DraftFCB Toronto, Toronto won one Silver Statue, one Bronze Statue and attained a Finalist:
Silver - Radio - Retail for MPP Paradise Pools titled “Kids”
Bronze - Radio – Retail for MPP Paradise Pools titled “Husband”
Finalist – Radio - Public Service/Social Welfare for Family Service Toronto.org titled “Abuse”
lg2, Québec won one Silver Statue and one Bronze Statue:
- Silver - Radio - Public Service/Social Welfare for Road Safety titled “You”
- Bronze – Radio - Public Service/Social Welfare Campaign for Road Safety titled “You”, “He” and “Jay”
JWT Toronto, Toronto won one Silver LIA:
- Silver - TV/Cinema/Online Film - Production | Post-Production - Low Budget for Canadian Film Festival titled “Canadian Sin”
MacLaren McCann, Toronto won one Silver LIA:
- Silver - TV/Cinema/Online Film - Music & Sound - Music Original - Song for Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption Canada titled “The Story of I”
Dare, Vancouver won one Bronze Statue and attained a Finalist:
- Bronze - TV/Cinema/Online Film - Production | Post-Production - Production Design for BC Children's Hospital Foundation titled “Hospital Ward”
- Finalist - TV/Cinema/Online Film - Production | Post-Production - Production Design for BC Children's Hospital Foundation titled “Operating Room”
Grip Limited, Toronto won one Bronze Statue and attained a Finalist:
- Bronze - The NEW for Kokanee titled “The Movie Out Here”
- Finalist - Non-Traditional - Beverages – Alcoholic for Kokanee titled “The Movie Out Here”
Lowe Roche Advertising, Toronto won one Bronze Statue and attained a Finalist:
- Bronze - Print - Direct Marketing - Consumer for Pfaff Porsche titled “Instant DM”
- Finalist – Print - Direct Marketing - Consumer for Enfant-Retour Quebec (Missing Childrens Network) titled “Missing Kids Stamps”
Method Studios, Vancouver won one Bronze Statue:
- Bronze - Music Video - Visual Effects for Deadmau5 titled “Professional Greifers”
Y&R Canada, Toronto won one Bronze Statue:
- Bronze – Radio – Automotive for Ford Parts & Service titled “Avocado”
The following have attained Finalist status:
Proximity Canada, Toronto
- Design - Digital Installations for Limited Edition Fusion ProGlide Razor titled “Light It Up”
Red Urban, Toronto
- Billboard - Innovative Use of Billboard for Volkswagen Touareg titled “4MOTION Free Parking”
- The NEW for Toronto Humane Society titled “Dog Caller”
- Design - Brand Identity – Local for Beat Box Academy
This year seven Grand LIAs were awarded.
McCann Melbourne, Melbourne has won three Grand LIAs in Digital, Non-Traditional and Integration for Metro Trains - "Dumb Ways to Die Campaign"
Wieden+Kennedy New York, New York was awarded the Grand LIA in the medium of TV/Cinema/Online Film for Southern Comfort titled "Whatever's Comfortable - Beach"
ShootMedia, London was awarded the Grand LIA in the medium of TV/Cinema/Online Film - Production | Post-Production for ChildLine titled "It Follows Me Around"
serviceplan, Munich was awarded the Grand LIA in the medium of Design for Auchan titled "The Selfscan Report"
Memac Ogilvy & Mather, Dubai was awarded the Grand LIA in the medium of Radio for Sawa Mninjah - Rescue Radio - The Rescue Continues Campaign "Nepalese Street Festival", "Sri Lankan Health Spa", "Kenyan Romantic Drama" and "Filipino Pop Singer”. This is the first Grand LIA ever awarded to an entrant from the United Arab Emirates.
2013 LIA ‘Of The Year Awards’ were decided based on the outstanding work chosen by the Juries across all media. This year LIA awarded five of these coveted Awards.
The following companies were honoured with the 2013 Of The Year Awards:
Network of the Year: Ogilvy
Agency of the Year: McCann Melbourne, Melbourne
Design and Package Design Company: serviceplan, Munich
Radio and Audio: Eardrum Australia, Sydney
Music and Sound Design Company: Song Zu
Of the 15,881 submissions, from 77 countries, less than 6% (5.5%) attained Shortlist status. Of those elite selections, only 0.7% won Gold Statues; 1.2% Silver Statues; 1.4% Bronze Statues and 1.7% Finalist. The vast number of submissions reflects the prestige and explosive growth of the London International Awards since its inception in 1986 when only 2,600 submissions were entered.